If you work with Hootsuite, you may or may not know about the app directory. Hootsuite as standard doesn’t support some social networks, and the only way to access them via Hootsuite is to install an app. YouTube is a prime example here. While it’s hard to believe Hootsuite wouldn’t include such a huge community into their service, the apps which are out there do the job just fine. Here are my top 5 Hootsuite apps which you should certainly consider installing.
YouTube Free (Synaptive) - http://www.synaptive.net/hootsuite-apps/youtube.html
If you work a lot with video or just share a lot of videos and want to save yourself some time and effort, this is a great app which you should certainly consider.
The free version has 3 main stream types, fairly straight forward. My videos (videos you’ve uploaded to your channel), Search and My Subscriptions. The my videos tab does allow you to upload your own videos, the interface isn’t as easy on the eye as it is on YouTube but it does the job perfectly well. You can of course share videos easily from all tabs,view / post comments, favourite and search videos using a variety of filters. Annoyingly the premium version restores fairly basic functionality but I guess they’ve got to make their money from somewhere.
Synaptive’s YouTube is $1.99 a month if you need these limitations removed.
- Share videos to your social networks.
- Upload videos to your YouTube accounts; add titles, descriptions, tags, categories and set privacy levels.
- View videos in-stream in your dashboard.
- View and add video comments.
- Search for videos; by keyword, user, location and category.
- View video details; number of views, comments, likes, dislikes and favorites.
- View user details; number of channel views, number of subscribers and number of total upload views.
SocialBro Dashboard (SocialBro) - https://www.socialbro.com/pricing
Unfortunately SocialBro no longer offers a free account, but if you have one from before it became a subscription only service they will still honour it. If you can see past the 1 star reviews (which are mostly people complaining about the subscription) this is a really useful app to have in your Hootsuite for your Twitter community. The SocialBro app allows you to search, filter and view where your followers are from, which language they speak, their activity on Twitter and more. The filters are particularly useful for targeting specific groups of people, whether it be people from a particular area, or key influencers working in your sector. From experience of using SocialBro ourselves they have always had a very responsive support system, we have had some problems with the service in the past but it has received several large overhauls recently.
- Ten powerful filters for your Twitter contacts including location, language, time zone and influence.
- Search filtered lists and easily follow, unfollow, tweet at or direct message your contacts directly from within the dashboard.
- Quickly view your new followers, recent unfollows, friends not following you back and more.
- Share your SocialBro analytics with your social networks.
- Responsive support system.
Pricing per month varies significantly depending on the size of the network you’re managing. We recommend visiting the SocialBro website for more information, as they will customise the pricing for your needs.
Instagram (Min Li) - http://www.wangeli.com/
There are a lot of people using Instagram these days, HootSuite’s Instagram app allows users to manage their photo streams, perform keyword searches, and easily share photos and videos to other social networks like Twitter and Facebook (In fact, photos receive 2x more likes than text posts on Facebook).
- Share your Instagram photos to your social networks.
- View your photos and a feed of photos for the users you follow, popular photos and your ‘likes’, all in your dashboard.
- View and post comments and ‘likes’.
- Keyword search and clickable hashtags to view related photos.
- View user information; number of photos, plus follower and following count.
The full featured Instagram app is free for everyone. Hurrah!
StumbleUpon (Synaptive) - http://www.synaptive.net/hootsuite-apps/stumbleupon.html
StumbleUpon is the easiest way to find new and interesting web pages, photos, videos and more from across the Web. The StumbleUpon app allows you to view and search for content related to specific Web Sites, Interests, Usernames or Channels, share this content to your social networks and more.
StumbleUpon is one of my all time favourite ways of wasting time on the internet, but it should not be underestimated. It is a powerful content curation tool. For the first 18 days of August 2011, StumbleUpon accounted for 50.27% of all referral traffic from the top 10 social sites. Since its start in 2001, the site has gained over 25 million users as of 2012.
- View StumbleUpon pages in-stream.
- Share StumbleUpon content to your social networks in HootSuite.
- Discover new content, and filter by sites, topics, users and channels.
- See the number of times a page has been Stumbled.
The stumbleupon service, is of course entirely free to use.
RSS Reader (Synaptive) – http://www.synaptive.net/hootsuite-apps/rss.html
Whether you’re curating content or just looking for interesting stuff for yourself, RSS is still very much alive. Having it in your Hootsuite ready to share with your community is a huge time saver. Not much more to say than that. Simply export your OPML file from any reader websites you may be using such as Feedly, and import into the app.
- Add streams of articles and stories via RSS feeds.
- Upload outline processor markup language (OPML) files to add your RSS feeds. OPML files can be exported from Feedly or other news aggregators.
- Preview a brief summary of individual articles and stories.
- Share articles and stories to your social networks.
Again the RSS Reader app is completely free to use.
We’d love to hear your top Hootsuite apps and how you find them useful in your daily activities. Be sure to let us know in the comments and perhaps we’ll do a review of them later on in the year.